Marketing Before the Trade Show- The Value of Pre-Trade Show Marketing
Posted By On Monday, September 30th, 2013
80% of Trade Show Exhibitors Fail to Implement Pre-Trade show Marketing Campaigns
Don’t Be One of Them!
You’ve decided to do a trade show, you’ve sold upper management, and your sales and marketing organizations have worked together to develop your ULD (Universal Lead Definition).
But you’re not ready yet!
It’s time to develop a targeted pre-tradeshow marketing campaign. Why? Because about three-quarters of attendees come to a trade show with a list of “must-see” booths. Pre-tradeshow marketing can put your exhibit on that list.
Here are some tips:
- Dedicate an adequate budget to pre-trade show marketing. Exhibitors generally use only 6% of the tradeshow budget for pre-marketing, when they should be allocating as much at 15%1.
- TEAM UP WITH THE SALES FORCE
- Be sure your sales reps talk up the trade show during pre-show visits and conversations with customers and prospects.
- Offer an incentive for scheduling tradeshow meetings with important customers and prospects ahead of time.
- TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUTSIDE RESOURCES
- The trade show sponsor may have pre-show marketing tools available and some might even be free, so ask. Don’t be shy! These tools can include lists of previous and pre-registered attendees.
- Check with relevant industry organizations to see if you can rent their member lists for pre-show marketing.
- LEVERAGE YOUR ULD AND KEY OPINION LEADERS
- Develop a list of customers and prospects who fit your ULD make sure to invite them. Include an exhibit hall pass for each key customer or prospect if possible.
- Invite industry KOLs to attend – or better yet, present – a special event at your booth.
- CREATE A COMPELLING EXPERIENCE FOR ATTENDEES
- Do more than list your products or services – be prepared with memorable messages. How does your product/service solve the customer’s problem or create opportunities for your customer? How is your company better than its competitors?
- Develop a persuasive, show-specific call-to-action.
- Plan enticing demos and education sessions. Mention them in your pre-tradeshow marketing.
- USE ALL THE TOOLS
- Use a variety of media for pre-trade show marketing to customers and prospects. These include social media, advertising and advertorials in targeted electronic and print outlets, email, postal mail, personalized invitations and phone calls. Include your booth number.
. . . or better still, start your pre-tradeshow marketing months ahead. Check out our Trade Show Checklist for more pre-trade show marketing tips and suggested preparation timing.
Click HERE to contact us about your trade show needs.
1 Jefferson Davis, Competitive Edge http://www.plrb.org/public2/Article4.htm
2 Kendall Tucker via ImageSource (2013) http://www.imagesourcemag.com/ism-article/5-tips-powerful-pre-show-marketing-before-events
3 Exhibitor Advantage first_time_exhibitor.pdf http://www.exhibitoradvantage.com/pdfs/first_time_exhibitor.pdf
Tags: trade show, tradeshow, booth, exhibit