Now that we’re in the dog days of summer, it’s time for me to ferret out the notes I squirreled away for a blog post on animal idioms. The folks in the office have been badgering me as they do the lion’s share of blogging. So I decided to take the bull by the horns before I end up in the dog house.
Writing this post has been more fun than a barrel of monkeys and I’m happier than a pig in **** for this to be my first post for donkey’s years. I’ve had a whale of a time doing it. Lately, I’ve been busy as a beaver, and haven’t had time for this sort of monkey business. But I didn’t want to weasel out of it, so I decided to go whole hog before my colleagues had a cow.
So now that I went hog wild on the idioms, they can hound me until the cows come home, cause I’m the top dog!
He celebrates daily by sitting on keyboards, settling down in front of monitors, reminding us that it’s time to eat – again, gnawing on wrists, sleeping on or under coats and sweaters, getting into supply closets, staring at us when we don’t satisfy his desire-of-the-moment, and letting us know when to open the office window – whether the temperature outside is compatible with human comfort or not.
Allergic to cats? Our office has a cat-free conference area for clients who are allergic to cats or – gasp – don’t like cats.
We dedicate this National Cat Day commemoration and quiz to Ernie and Rooster. Can you identify the author of the quote?
1. “I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul.“
b. Jean Cocteau
2. “A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not.”
a. Sigmund Freud
b. Ernest Hemingway
c. Marlin Perkins
3. “The smallest feline is a masterpiece.”
a. Leonardo da Vinci
c. Jackson Pollack
4. “Cats are connoisseurs of comfort.”
a. Lady Gaga
b. Gordon Ramsey
c. James Herriot
5. “A cat will assume the shape of its container.”
c. I.M. Pei
6. “I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.”
a. Dr. Seuss
b. Edgar Allan Poe
c. Earle Stanley Gardner
7. “Jones, what the hell are you eating?”
a. Paula Deen
b. Lauren Cook
c. Harpo Marx
Source for all quiz questions except #7: catquotes.com